WHO IS THE
Celeste Roberts – President & CEO
Chris Ward – Chief of Partnerships
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
AVP, External Commnications
Serenity Village Inc.
PO Strategy & Innovation
JP Morgan Chase & Co.
Senior Director, Business Development
United Way Suncoast
OnPoint Sports Strategies
All About Title, LLC
Vice President l Business Banking Relationship Manager
Fifth Third Bank
Joselynne Walden Forde, Board Chair
The J. Forde Experience
Shutts & Bowen LLP
Senior Digital Product Manager
THE SKILLS CENTER AT A GLANCE
Using sports as a powerful learning tool, The Skills Center teaches youth how to transfer the skills learned naturally through sports and apply them to other environments in their lives such as school, work and community. Created in 2007 by John Arroyo, Celeste Roberts and Chris Ward is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit sport- based youth development organization.
- To operate with a high quality of excellence
- To serve with honesty & integrity
- To create win–win partnerships within the community
- To support a family-oriented environment and programs
- To provide inclusive services to all young people
- To build a high performing team
MISSIONIntentionally utilize athletics as the mechanism to create change through academic success, life skills, mentoring and health for young people ages 3-18 in Tampa.
VISIONOur youth have positive education outcomes that lead to economic prospects and life options. The Skills Center provides school based and community- based programs that motivate youth to learn, change behavior and succeed in school. Focusing on developing core competencies through academic instruction and character education, our services promote positive youth development to elementary, middle and high school students through school day and out of school time programs.
- We believe with caring adults, sports offer young people the skills and knowledge they need to function effectively in life.
- We give our youth the right environment that brings out the best in them and give us the opportunity to coach them for life.
- We believe that the long-term benefits of participation in sports with an intentional focus can lead to a lifetime of physical activity, social competencies, improved health and enhanced skills set.
CANTIA, TSC ALUMNI
"The Skills Center has taught me life learning skills and helped me to do better in math."
"I wanted to let you know how pleased we were with the Basketball Camp last week. My daughter had a great time and certainly improved her skills, confidence and passion for the game. I don’t have enough superlatives to share how impressed we were with your coaches."
"I am impressed with the summer sports program offered by Chris Ward with the Skills Center held at Shields Middle School. I witnessed young boys show up every day for the Skills Center program eager, not only to play basketball or soccer, but to soak up the words of wisdom and advice Chris Ward had to offer them. This is a life changing opportunity for students."